I’m a freelance science communications professional and an Associate Member of the Association of British Science Writers. I’m based in Warwickshire in the UK but regularly work with clients all over the world.
To clarify what I mean by ‘science communications professional’, here’s the kind of stuff I’m into:
- I write creative, informative articles on scientific topics
- I advise on, copy-edit and proofread scientific materials including manuscripts for publication in magazines or journals, reports and policy documents, advertising, books, theses, dissertations, newsletters, sales copy, and more
- I can help you with scientific picture research
- I write press releases and news items on new research, innovative technology, and scientific events
- I can produce scientific knowledge transfer materials and manage knowledge exchange projects
- I blog, tweet, Facebook, pin, and engage with social media
- I advise on, plan, and project manage scientific projects and communications activities
- I will be happy to discuss any project for which you need an articulate, fully computer literate Biological Sciences graduate with publishing experience!
Please note that while I edit and advise on dissertations, theses, essays etc, I do NOT write them – click here for more information!
In recent years I seem to have carved a little niche for myself in the world of plant science, which I love! I also have plenty of experience in biomedical communications, particularly in areas such as Type 2 diabetes, oncology, women’s health, ageing, neuropathic pain, genomics, molecular biology and much more.
However, a good writer is a good writer. And I am a good writer. If you’re looking for someone to write, copy-edit, proofread, advise, blog, tweet, Facebook, pin, PowerPoint (etc.) but your subject is not scientific, I can still help! Sometimes it’s nice to take my science hat off and work on different projects, so please contact me!
Check out my portfolio pages to see some of the varied projects I have previously been involved in – everything from string quartets to fishing to debt collection firms to mobile phone repairs!
My employment history in brief…
Before, after, during, in between and around full time employments and contracts, I work as a freelance communications consultant. Please contact me for more information about how I can help you with your projects and details about my rates.
I also have plenty of experience as an employee. For full details, please see my LinkedIn page, but in summary…
- Since February 2015 I have worked as a part-time consultant Outreach & Communications Manager for the Global Plant Council, a non-profit organization that brings together researchers, educators and trainers from around the world to develop plant science for global challenges.
- Between July 2013 and July 2015 I was the Research & Engagement Officer for GARNet (a network for plant scientists in the UK). This was based first at the University of Warwick under Professor Jim Beynon, and later at Cardiff University under Professor Jim Murray.
- In 2013 I spent 3 months working as a Temporary Knowledge Transfer Manager for the Field Vegetables sector at the Horticultural Development Company (now known as AHDB Horticulture).
- After working for the company as a freelance editor, in 2011 I joined IMC Healthcare Communications as a Senior Account Executive on a permanent basis. This role involved working with ‘big pharma’ clients to deliver a variety of healthcare professional and patient communications projects.
- Before redundancy in 2011, I spent 3 years at BioMed Central Ltd, an open access life science publishing house in London; first as a Database Editorial Assistant working on the Biology Image Library, then as an Editorial Assistant for the BMC Series of journals.
- …and before all that, I spent 3 years working as a secondary school Science teacher (Biology and Chemistry)!
- Open Studies Certificate in Journalism
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (Science) from the University of Warwick
- BSc Biological Sciences from the University of Warwick
- 5 x A-Levels at grades A-C
- 11 x GCSEs at grades A* and A
- Associate Member of the Association of British Science Writers (since 2014)
- Member of the Society for Experimental Biology (since 2014)
- Founder Member of the Citizen Science Association (since 2013)
- Former Member of the American Association for Plant Biologists (2014–15)
For more information, my full CV, or to discuss a future project, please do get in touch.